California Road Reports
California Road Conditions and Travel Tips
- You can use studded tires in California from November 1st – April 30th. Driving with studded tires at other times is a violation and carries a fine.
- From November 1st – May 30th in California, parking at any of the 18 Sno-Parks requires a valid permit. Sno-Park permits from both Idaho and Oregon are honored in California.
- Turning on your low-beam headlights during the daytime in the winter months and during low natural light conditions can help make your vehicle more visible.
- Keep your car headlights clean and bright by getting in the habit of wiping off your lights when refueling.
- Always check your oil when your vehicle engine is cold and antifreeze when your engine is hot for the most accurate readings.
- Keep tools, spare tire/in a can, flashlights, atlas, maps, blankets, extra food, water and clothing in your vehicle at all times.
- Make sure the tires on your vehicle are properly inflated by testing them regularly with a tire gauge.
- Bridges and overpasses are the most dangerous parts of the road in the winter because they are the first to freeze and the last to thaw.
California Road Conditions and Travel Resources
- Map of current California travel conditions
- Map of California rest areas
- Map of California scenic byways