California Road Conditions
California Travel Tips
- You can use studded tires in California from November 1st – April 30th. Driving with studded tires at other times is a violation and carries a fine.
- From November 1st – May 30th in California, parking at any of the 18 Sno-Parks requires a valid permit. Sno-Park permits from both Idaho and Oregon are honored in California.
- Turning on your low-beam headlights during the daytime in the winter months and during low natural light conditions can help make your vehicle more visible.
- Keep your car headlights clean and bright by getting in the habit of wiping off your lights when refueling.
- Always check your oil when your vehicle engine is cold and antifreeze when your engine is hot for the most accurate readings.
- Keep tools, spare tire/in a can, flashlights, atlas, maps, blankets, extra food, water and clothing in your vehicle at all times.
- Make sure the tires on your vehicle are properly inflated by testing them regularly with a tire gauge.
- Bridges and overpasses are the most dangerous parts of the road in the winter because they are the first to freeze and the last to thaw.